Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Couple New Layouts

Here are a couple layouts I've done recently.

A little backstory on this LO:
I have been a musical person most of my life. I started taking piano lessons when I was 7. By the time I was 14, I was the pianist for my church and began singing at the same church around age 12. I love to perform and in high school, I was part of the choir, and sang solos for our literary events. I went to college for a year, majoring in Music Education. I thought I wanted to teach voice and piano, but I also still really loved the performance side of it. I dropped out after a year because I decided I didn't really want to teach after all. I got married shortly after that, in 1997, and have just sort of "bookmarked" that part of my life. I still sing and play for weddings and such, but I do miss performing in the capacity that I once did.

So, anyway, when I was in high school and thought I wanted to go to a performing arts school, I had requested brochures from several colleges. I received one in the mail from Berklee College of Music in Boston, MA, and this excerpt has stayed with me from the moment I first read it.

I recently came across several old photos of myself, before different performances at different times in my life. I thought it would be neat to do a layout using those photos and the excerpt from that brochure. It pretty well sums up my feelings on performing, especially during that time in my life.

It reads:

"It's not just that you like to perform. For you, it's what matters most. You accept the solitude, playing by yourself, practicing for hours, trying to surpass your own demanding expectations. Then there's more time spent one-on-one with a mentor, where you attempt to go beyond what you know and stretch to a higher level. After the labs, ensemble rehearsals, and lessons are over, you take the stage. You share yourself and take away a breathless moment of connection. The bridge that music creates between people--that's one reason you have to play for them.
The other reason is all yours, right down to the shiver that comes with the applause."

The layout has a very messy, collage-y and hurried sort of feel to it. That was really how it came to me. It was like, I have to get this out and NOW. LOL! So I was just in a frenzy, writing and sticking things down. It was very sort of stream of consciousness, put on paper. I like the end result.



This second layout is of my Maw (Grandmother) at her 86th Birthday party.
The journaling:
In February 2009, my sweet Maw celebrated her 86th birthday with all her family. She had a good day that day, was happy and even got up and danced! :) So blessed to share this day with her!

1 comment:

All Star said...

Wow - such great journaling. Great LOs!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails